Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Copenhagen

 

 
I had high expectations preceding my visit to Copenhagen, and I was not let down one bit.  The surprise began when the bus drove into some peculiar storage garage, and soon I realized it was the huge ferry which transported the vehicles across the strip of ocean separating Germany and Copenhagen. The approach of the Danish shore brought a sense of delight that only grew the more I discovered of the fabled city.
 
One thing that caught my attention immediately after my arrival was the intimate connection with storywriter Hans Christian Anderson (with a main street named after him along with a prominent statue), engaging several mental forms from a strange night this past July.
                                                   Mermaid Statue
H.C. Anderson is more or less the "Danish Walt Disney" and the Tivoli Park situated just across from H.C. Anderson Blvd. and his statue gazing toward the park supposedly inspired Disney world.

 




Just as Amsterdam spoke to me with messages of resolution, Copenhagen seemed to impart one of positivity and acceptance, as if to be saying, "You should say 'yes' a little more."
 

 






I was sure to make the trek to the famous Christiana commune. In this village dubbed "free town," best known for its "pusherstreet" where weed and hash is semi-openly sold. In Christiana, the commune is self-governed and somehow manages to keep the police out. Freetown is heavily visited by tourists who are welcome as long as they follow the four posted rules:
1. No cameras.
2. No running
3. Have fun
4. Be happy

For obvious reasons, I have no pictures from my adventure through Christiana, but my general review is that as can be accepted, it's not well kept, although I can appreciate the level of freedom, creativity and general happiness permeating throughout the village. Supposedly, there used to be many issues with crime and gags, but the village has been gradually becoming much more peaceful.  The pictured gate reading "You are now entering Christiana" reads, on the other side, "You are now entering the EU." This got a rise out of me.


I was pleasantly surprised to discover my bus was actually leaving a solid nine hours later than I had thought, affording me unexpected time to rent a bike with my German roommates and visit the famous mermaid statue(allusion to the Anderson story) as well as the botanical gardens.







 
 

 

 

 

 








 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment