Monday, August 31, 2015

Amsterdam

 
 
 
 

 
It may be fair to say that Amsterdam was the first city that I allowed myself to experience the essence of the city. Everywhere else, I was trying so hard to "keep things tight" that I gave little focus to this kind of thing; the message I received here was, "Let it go." 

 



 
I covered a lot of ground in Amsterdam by foot, and I'm impressed by my walking skills. A certain portion of that distance walked happened to be comprised of circles getting "lost". I had a certain system going on with the street sign/map collaboration going but then I stepped out of that system to utilize my compass so I can wonder in a general direction according to where I am and where I want to go without tryin to search for particular, often unmarked, streets. Upon chance, I ended up exploring of certain components of UvA's campus including the brain and cognition center.  Another pleasant surprise was a used book store with a philosophy section I could really appreciate. As a matter of fact, the fella working there is a doctorate candidate at the University, and I learned about a recent student-led revolution from a conversation with him and an English professor from Texas.


The way this town if constructed, with a radial structure, with canals everywhere, you're likely to arrive upon the most unexpected situations one could imagine. A guy gave me a free sub at a food shop because they had actually just closed.  I would really enjoy going on one of those cabin/barges someday.  One may live in any fashion he/she desires in Amsterdam;  there is as far ying and far yang available to human choice in this city, and the realm within that continuum someone embodies is matter of his will.  

Before leaving, I visited a coffee shop breakfast bar called popeyes treated myself  to this wonderful "happy English breakfast" which indeed included some of Popeye's spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment